My two year old ate half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that was not refrigerated and in a baggie on the counter since yesterday. Is he in danger of getting food poisoning. The jar says to refrigerate after opening. I don't eat jam or jelly and didn't think anything of it but my husband said he's gotten food poisoning from jelly before. Should we take him to the hospital now or wait for any symptoms to arise? Besides vomiting what would likely symptoms be?
Leaving jelly overnight one time is unlikely to cause food
poisoning, it only will decrease the shelf life of the product. The shelf life is
longer for jelly bought at the store versus homemade. Store bought jelly is
more standardized (with the right amount of sugar/fruit/liquid) and the sugar
acts as a preservative. Check the jelly for signs of spoilage like mold, odor
and changes in color. I suggest calling the company and asking them if the item
should be discarded. And if you see symptoms in your child like vomiting, diarrhea or decreased
appetite, call your doctor.
Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.